What Is EPDM Roofing and What Are Its Advantages?
EPDM stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer, a synthetic rubber material that is popular for roof coatings. This durable membrane comes in large, wide rolls that are carefully laid out on the roof and then affixed using high-grade adhesives, ballast or mechanical processes. The few seams remaining are then sealed with an advanced tape or specialized sealant products. At Summit Commercial Roofing, we have extensive experience installing and repairing EPDM roofing material.
Why Is EPDM Roofing Popular for Commercial Applications?
EPDM has a number of advantages, which is one of the reasons it has reigned supreme in commercial roofing applications for almost 50 years. This long list of benefits also comes at a comparatively low cost, making synthetic rubber coatings very attractive for many business owners.
- Low maintenance needs and easy repairs
- Non-intrusive installation methods
- Excellent heat, UV and fire resistance
- Incredible durability
- Significant hail and moisture protection
- Lightweight coating option
One quality of synthetic rubber that stands out is its extremely flexible nature; it endures structural movement, settling and extreme temperature variations easily with excellent tear resistance. And while black EPDM coating are commonly used, owners seeking to cut down commercial property energy costs can also opt for UV-reflective white coatings instead.
Businesses That Benefit From EPDM Roofing
When is this material a perfect fit for companies?
- Cold and variable climates: Commercial buildings in climates where weather temperatures oscillate significantly – especially if they drop below freezing – benefit greatly from EPDM since it doesn’t crack even after repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
- Minimal maintenance applications: When building roofs are difficult to access post-installation, opting for low-maintenance EPDM can save lots of time and money for years afterwards.
- Low-slope roofs: Thanks to few seams and great ponding resistance, low slope roofs with EPDM can handle wind, rain, snow and hail without problems.
Maximize Your Roof’s Lifespan
Proper professional installation is essential for obtaining maximum benefits from EPDM roofing. Once installed, simple maintenance tasks can help it to reach an amazing lifespan of 15 to 25 years or more. Contact our Summit Roofing experts to request assistance or a commercial roofing inspection.