What To Know About Commercial Roof Warranties
As the owner of a business, there are some important things to know about the various types of commercial roof warranties. The roof of your building is a company asset and needs a product that will cover damages and make certain repairs happen within a reasonable time period. Read the details carefully, since the quality of coverage will vary depending upon the company that issues the warranty.
It is a good idea to check this information before buying or replacing a roof because owners are usually held responsible for certain kinds of upkeep in order to maintain guarantees. Let’s look at the three main warranties available, what they offer and what to search for in the fine print.
Who Is the Issuing Company?
The reputation of the company providing a warranty is a good indicator of the quality of the coverage you will receive. Check with the Better Business Bureau in your area or use online resources to check on a company’s background. It is important to look for businesses that have longevity in a community and get good reviews from the customers who use their services. There are two main entities that issue roofing system warranties that involve specific agreements:
- Contractors: They provide an installer written guarantee that ensures the repair of workmanship issues and the replacement of faulty products within a designated period of time.
- Material Manufacturers: They give a manufacturer’s written guarantee that ensures the repair or replacement of defective products within a specified time period.
It will save you a lot of unnecessary complications if you choose a certified roofing contractor. They are trained to work with the manufacturer’s systems and provide the professional installation you need from the start.
What Types of Warranties Are Available?
Issuing companies provide three manufacturer’s warranties and a roofing contractor warranty.
- NDL Warranty: NDL means there is no dollar limit. This is the best commercial roofing warranty available. Given correct use, the manufacturer will cover all defects and product failures within the agreed time period regardless of the cost to repair or replace. The materials installation must follow technical specifications requested by the manufacturer, and a warranty is issued when an inspector is satisfied with the outcome.
- Material Warranty: Materials coverage provides that a product is guaranteed not to fail within a specified period of time (usually a number of years). These are popular limited warranties because they are either free or are purchased at a low cost. This mainly covers aging and defect issues. It does not cover problems with accessories or the cost of labor for repair or replacement.
- Labor and Material Warranty: This warranty covers labor and material defects. This differs from the NDL because of the maximum limit on a manufacturer’s responsibilities. It is pro-rated since the coverage for repair and replacement of defective parts is based on the time a problem occurs. Older materials will receive less coverage under this guarantee.
This covers the workmanship of contractors responsible for roof installation on both labor and product defects. Typically, this includes any materials a roofer installs, aside from the materials manufacturer, and remains in effect between one and five years. We recommend you look for a contractor who will guarantee their work and be transparent about warranty information.
When are Roofing Problems Not Covered?
It is important to read the fine print on any warranty. Some warranties do not cover items such as unauthorized roof modifications or repairs, neglect of proper care or acts of God. Additionally, some companies charge extra fees for various services, which are more costly than buying the initial coverage you need.
The best way to save time and money, and reduce the chances of future concerns is to hire a professional roofing company to help you search for and install the commercial roof system that is the right choice for your business.
If you’d like to schedule an inspection of your roof today, please call (734) 531-7327. You can also contact us online for more information on the services we provide.